Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pig Rock Surfing

We are currently staying in a place called El Tunco, which means The Pig. This is due to a big rock in the middle of the beach that supposedly looks like a pig.  Me and Things beg to differ as it just looks like a big frickin rock, not a pig.  Anyway that’s by the by.  We have been surfing here for about a week.  The waves are good as it never drops below about head high during rainy season.  When it is this size you can either surf the breach break by pig rock or go over to the point break which is super consistent.  It peels for about 200-300m if you get a good one on the bigger swells.  It is one of the first times in a long time my legs actually feel tired from standing up for so long.  Hard to believe I know.  Over the weekend it gets pretty busy as everyone descends on El Tunco from San Salvodor.  There are other waves nearby but we have not explored yet.  I have been surfing most mornings and then giving Things a surf lesson in the middle of the day when it gets a bit quieter.  Most days between 1100 and 1600 the wind goes light cross shore but is still good and some days the wind goes more onshore but it is still surfable just doesn't look so good.  I had not surfed for about 3 months before getting here, well maybe once but that does not count, so its been really good to get back in the water!!  I feel a bit bad about writing about this surf spot as good surf spots are usually closely guarded secrets but where we are is all over the internet and in every storm rider guide so if you want to find it you can.  I have not just exposed the best kept secret in El Salvador.  The accommodation is cheap here, the food is good and cheap, the beer is cold, cheap and drinkable, the water is about 28 degrees centigrade and the air is 30 degrees centigrade.  Not a bad surf spot.

Useful info:
Board Rental $10; Surf Lesson $10; Accommodation $10-$30; Breakfast $5; Lunch $5; Dinner $10-$20 with beer, got to have beer.  You can do it cheaper than this if you cook yourself or finder cheaper places to eat, we have been eating out a lot as I love food!! Got to Lord it up some of the time!!  I will post again dedicated to the food at another point, it deserves its own post. 

A couple of pics to follow, me surfing first day in after a 3 month dry spell, the rock that dose not look like a pig and the point peeling nicely.  








1 comment:

  1. Hello again, this is things. I just wanted to add how I find the surf as what feels like a perpetual learner. I had not been surfing for at least 6 months possibly more and although I'm not a complete beginner I'm far from intermediate.
    This is the first time I've been surfing without a wet suit, and you never get cold, its awesome. The point break is really cool, but due to my fitness its as bit demanding as its a long paddle to get into position then you need to be ready to go on a wave or you are moved off the point with the wave action with means more paddling. So there isn't really time to rest, the paddling is constant!!! I am improving and at least you can paddle out avoiding breaking waves.
    Things xx

    ReplyDelete