Saturday, June 15, 2013

Roatan and the beginning of the Travels

I flew to Roatan around the 19th of  May to meet Things who had been doing her Divemaster and Instructors for the last 5 months.  I had been wrapping up things in Cornwall with the house and waiting for the start date of my sabbatical which my employers very kindly granted.  I finished work on the 10th of May and spent about a week going to see my family in various locations around the south of the England.

I flew with Transat across the Atlantic which were cheap but not that great if I’m honest.  I spent one night in Toronto,  Canadians are super friendly, and then I flew onto Roatan the next day.  I landed in Roatan and Things met me at the airport which was awesome as we had not seen each other for 5 months!!  

We then had 3 weeks together in Roatan where Things as a newly appointed dive instructor taught me to dive.   Diving is truly awesome!!  I completed my Open Water and Advanced  Open Water at Barefoot Divers which are based in Barefoot cay but have two dive centres on the Island.  I did my courses at the Polmetto site with Things teaching me and her friend Erika supervising as she has taught more people.  If you are going to learn to dive I cannot recommend more highly going to do it with Barefoot divers at the Polmetto site!!  It is a really small friendly dive centre, all the dive sites are really close and Erika is an awesome instructor! Not to take anything away from Things who was an absolute legend teaching me to dive.  I had a mini freak out when I first went about 7m underwater and had to take my mask off as one of the skills you have to complete.  The water shot up my nose it felt like I was drowning!! Most bogus!!  This story should not put you off learning to dive as Things and Erika were awesome and took me up to surface.  I then went on to complete ten dives on Roatan.  I saw 3 spotted eagle rays, a nurse shark, a turtle moving at about mach 10 underwater which was frickin awesome.  I then went on a shark dive and saw 15 Caribbean Reef sharks.  Basically if you are thinking about learning you should definitely do it!! It is wicked!!

Right that is enough for now…. If I’m rambling too much or you want more detail just leave a comment and I will mediate it.

By Stuff

Photo of Palmetto Plantation taken from plane during departure. By Things 

2 comments:

  1. For more information check out
    http://www.barefootdiversroatan.com/

    And for everything that's worth knowing about Roatan and just a super blog check out
    http://www.cubiclethrowdown.com/

    By Things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks for the love dude! You were a great student and still super proud of you for going forward even when you were scared :) Miss you both times a million and looking forward to following along on here!

    ReplyDelete